General Dietary Guidelines for ReShape
Your healthcare team will give you dietary guidelines to follow prior to the procedure. It’s important to follow their recommendations carefully, but here’s a general idea of what to expect:
Preparing for Balloon Insertion
You must arrive with a completely empty stomach or the procedure will have to be rescheduled.
- 48 hours before insertion begin eating only soft foods, without any meat
- 24 hours before insertion switch to clear liquids only
- 12 hours before insertion stop eating and drinking anything
After the ReShape Procedure
Once the balloons are inserted, your stomach will need time to get used to their presence. There are four stages to help you move from clear liquids to eating regular food again. Usually you progress through the stages at your own pace; once your stomach is comfortable at one stage, you can move to the next.
Stage 1 - Clear Liquids
The first stage involves only clear liquids and usually lasts between one and three days following the procedure. Warm liquids are sometimes easier to tolerate than cold ones. It’s important to avoid carbonated beverages because they may cause bloating and gas. Examples of clear liquids include:
- Small sips of water
- Apple juice
- Ice chips
Stage 2 - Smooth Foods
Smooth or pureed foods are the next stage; this stage usually occurs between four to seven days after the procedure. You can use a blender to puree foods to a smooth consistency. Examples of smooth foods include:
- Protein shakes
- Yogurt (without fruit)
- Cottage cheese
- Pureed fruit
- Strained or blended soup
- Cooked and pureed vegetables
- Baby food
Stage 3 - Soft and Crunchy Foods
In stage three, you’ll start to add soft and crunchy foods to your diet. This stage is usually eight to ten days after balloon insertion. Examples of soft and crunchy foods include:
- Soft poached fish
- Soft seafood
- Cottage cheese
- Scrambled eggs
- Saltine crackers
- Well-cooked vegetables
- Soft fruit with the skin removed
Stage 4 - Normal Foods
By around day 11 after the ReShape procedure, you’ll probably reach stage four and can start eating regular food again. During this stage, it’s important to keep some general guidelines in mind:
- Pay attention to your body before, during and after meals.
- Stop eating at the first sign of feeling full or when you’re no longer hungry.
- Chew each bite thoroughly and slowly; meals should take at least 15-20 minutes.
- Try new foods one at a time and watch for intolerance. Foods that aren’t tolerated may cause pain or pressure near the breastbone. If this happens, you can return to liquids or smooth foods for a couple days to let your stomach calm down. If the pain or pressure continues, talk to your healthcare team about your symptoms.
Preparing for Balloon Removal
For the removal procedure, you’re stomach again needs to be empty. If food remains, sometimes a special tube can be used to prevent food from entering your windpipe during the procedure.
- 48 hours before removal begin eating only soft foods, without any meat
- 24 hours before removal switch to clear liquids only
- 12 hours before removal stop eating and drinking anything
Ready to start your journey to weight loss?Contact us about ReShape!